The Wilmington Public Library was originally incorporated in 1754. However, due to the Revolutionary War, service of the library was temporarily ceased. With the assistance of John Dickinson, Jacob Brook and Gunning Beford, three signers of the U.S. Constitution, the library was reopened in 1788. The current location of the Wilmington Public Library was made possible by Pierre S. duPont in 1922.
Since then the library has overcome some changes and challenges, but our mission has remained the same- to provide our patrons with accessibility to the library's dynamic collections and information resources.